Addiction Expert Forum
Addicted to Rocking

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Addicted to Rocking
Hello there,

My name is Erin and I'm 17. Ever since I was little I would rock myself. I probably rock over 6 hours a day in my rocking chair. I know this is probably not good for me at all, but I can't stop. Does anyone else do this? I wish I could stop, but it's impossible for me. As soon as I walk into the door in my house, I'm rocking. What can I do? I have never told anyone but my family about this addiction, because I'm scared other people are going to judge me. Should I get help? Is this wrong to do? Please help me.

Thanks,
Erin
I do not think that it is a dangerous addiction. Are you doing anything else while rocking, like reading, doing homework, knitting, watching TV? You could be quite productive during that time. If it is interfering with your life, your schooling and your social engagements, than I suggest a visit to a psychiatrist to see what leads you to need this amount of self soothing. It may be anxiety or some other issue that you need to deal with. They may also suggest other ways of dealing with your feelings. Good luck to you.