Addiction Expert Forum
Addiction during pregnancy

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Addiction during pregnancy

Im posting a question for my good friend. She is 36 weeks pregnant. She used heroin off and on up until she was 25 weeks pregnant. She detoxed off of it and has been clean since then and doing an amazing job. The baby is doing great and growing healthy. But she is nervous about her baby getting taken away even though shes been clean.. if maybe the baby still has it in her system? I feel bad because shes been doing so good and her babygirl will be here in a month! But she still wonders in the back of her head if she should be worried. Thoughts? Advice?
Every state has different regulation and it may vary from hospital to hospital. It can also depend on your friend's OB/midwife. What they do can very much depend on your friend herself, if she got regular and early prenatal care, was cooperative and followed all her instructions; if she presented herrself as a caring and cared for mother to be, then there may not be any reason for them to test her. However if she or those around her send out warning signals with their presentation, dress or behavior, her health provider can very well test her baby's meconium (poop) without her consent. They can not test her without her express consent and knowledge.
You should be aware that baby's meconium will show every drug the pregnant woman have used from the 20th week of pregnancy.
But you  should relax they do not just take babies away from their mothers unless there are major indicators for doing so. If she behaves in a measured, reasonable manner, dresses appropriately, shows that she is taking care of herself, thus of the baby, I'm sure it will be fine.
Please read and have her read my blog on pregnancy and addiction by clicking on my name in blue and than "blogs". Good luck to her.
I honestly don't think it will be in the baby's system by the time she delivers. That would be very rare,but if such an occasion arises the social worker will see that she is clean and changing her life. Good luck to her