Addiction Expert Forum
Ambien addiction

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Ambien addiction

I have a handful of Ambien CR 12.5 mg left and I know it won't last night and I can't get any more. I have to get off. I do weird things in my sleep and at night I will take 1 pill and wake up and realize 3-4 are gone. I can tell I go through respiratory depression at night because I wake up hypoxic, with a headache, in a daze, and shallow breathing.  I had sleep apnea in the past but have not been using CPAP lately as I lost a lot of weight.  

What is the best way to withdraw off of this if you have no Ambien to wean off with and if you can't tall your providers that you need something else in its place? I have Seroquel and trazodone on hand but neither of those worked for sleep without giving me a hangover the next day.
There are no withdrawals from Ambien and you do need to be weaned off of it. Your addiction is psychological since you feel that you can not sleep without it. Your sleeping cycle has been disrupted and your body forgot how to fall asleep without pharmaceutical help. I am not a sleep expert, so you need to consult with someone else, but I will tell you that Seroquel at very low doses (25-50mg) is very often used as a sleeping aid as an off label indication. I don't know what dose you were using that gave you such sedation in the morning, but it was probably higher then that. Another thing I recommend to my patients is staying very active mentally and physically during the day,  having a set bedtime routine, taking a shower just before bedtime, not watching TV prior to going to bed, taking a Melatonin in the evening at the same time and giving at least 2 week to work (it resets your circadian cycle). And do not worry so much if you do not sleep one or two nights, eventually you will. It will take the stress of falling asleep from your mind. But again, I am not a sleep expert. Those are just my suggestions.
Good luck to you and stay healthy.