Addiction Expert Forum
Brain damage from a night of binge drinking?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Hi, so I'm 32. I never drank until my early 20s, and usually I just have a couple of drinks on weekends with friends. Unfortunately, a couple of times a year for the past few years, I've had an extreme episode. Not quite alcohol poisoning, but so drunk that I browned out memory-wise, and twice blacked out the end of an evening. These incidences were very far apart, like, 6 months or more, over the course of five or 6 years. Last week, I had such an incident and browned out parts of an evening that ended in vomiting up what I'd had to drink. It was on an empty stomach, so I was especially drunk. My question is, could I have caused permanent brain damage from these isolated incidents? I have always felt fine, but after this last incident, I have felt a bit slow and then experienced some vertigo, four days after the incident, with no drinking since. I"m concerned that the vertigo is a result of damage to my motor skills/balance area in my brain. Thanks in advance.
Some studies have shown that drinking alcohol may cause changes to the brain and its function. This damage may be a result of either direct or indirect effects of alcohol on the brain or other general health issues.  Binge drinking could result in brain damage due to neurotoxic effects.  If your symptoms persist, please go to a Neurologist who could provide you with a diagnosis of your current brain function through MRI and other testing and provide you with valuable treatment.

Regardless of the results, you should be aware that consuming large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time may cause alcohol poisoning and which may be lethal.  Please do not put yourself in risky situations where you could cause irreversible damage to your body.  I hope this helps you.