Addiction Expert Forum
Do painkillers kill sex drive?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Do painkillers kill sex drive?

My boyfriend takes oxycontin and vicodin recreationally so he says.  I say its addiction.  Over the past few months his libido has dropped to nothing.  I know he is not cheating and he is still atttracted to me  He says that his brainisnt clicking however he looks at porn periodically.  I say it is the pills and he denies that.  Do pain meds mess with sex drive? Please help me.  I am trying to get him off these meds and I refuse to be in a relationship that has no intimacy.  What else am I dealing with here??
Chronic opiate use causes a drop in testosterone, which decreases sex drive.  The other, perhaps more important thing is that people using opiates essentially 'fall in love' with the opiates;  the opiates are generally far more important to them than the people left in their lives.  Finally, addicts have to put on a fake front to be able to lie all the time;  they can't just turn that on and off, so over time the 'true person' becomes buried deep inside under miles of BS.  There is NO intimacy in a relationship with an addict.  Maybe a few crazed, funny, joking-around days after a score... but no intimacy.  If you don't have kids, run away fast-- tell him to call you after he is clean for a year-- and then do hair follicle testing to be certain he isn't lying.  You can't help him-- except by making him lonely and miserable so he helps himself.  Save yourself.
So, EVERYONE who is in a relationship with someone that has a dependence on Opiates should run for thier lives because thier significant other is ALWAYS lying no matter what?  There are good people out there that made the mistake of getting involved in opiates myslef one of them. I didn't lie, cheat, or steal anything or to anyone.  People can love even if they take opiates.  This is terrible advice and I think who ever you are with should ditch you because you obviuosly have no compassion for human beings.  Oh, I guess because you have letters after your name you can break up relationships even if it is not for the best. GIVE ME A BREAK.
Look here man, he posted an insitfull thought out reply to her question. He dident say EVERYONE!

This However, is my expirence thusfar, I take opiates and Benzos and at times it has lowered my sex drive. But I was dabbeling in too much stuuff at once. My DR Knows this. So Im on Both again rite now AS PERSCRIBED Now My pain is interfering and causing depression because they are so closely tied together all because I switched up on what I was taking Lowered my opiate intake and thats killing my sex drive itself. Truth be told, I think once I am all set up and dosed properly my Libedo will not suffer.
and when you get clean all that comes back!!! almost to a dangerous level if my memory serves me correct

"how can you tell when an addict is lying?"

there lips are moving....haha