Addiction Expert Forum
Do you think i'm an alcoholic?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Do you think i'm an alcoholic?

I don’t drink everyday - in the past 25 days i have got drunk probably 12 out of those days, but when I do drink I drink A LOT. A psychologist has told me that I have a serious problem with alcohol after I told her that I cant stop drinking once I’ve started and that in my whole life I have never drunk alcohol without getting drunk. A psychiatrist has similarly told me it’s a problem for me, especially because I have bipolar and that I should stop but I don’t.

When I drink I will on average drink 10-20 standard drinks in one sitting. 99% of the time I will drink straight liquor – mainly whisky or tequila, and if I can I will drink straight from the bottle until I’m so drunk I can’t remember anything.  

I never thought that my drinking was a problem because a lot of people my age binge drink but in the past year, a couple of my closest friends told me that my drinking is out of control. They told me that a lot of our friends didn’t want to go out with me anymore and when we did they were all secretly keeping tabs on how much I was drinking.

On a few of occassions after drinking heavily i had some really weird things happen like my body started having spasms and my legs where kicking out without my control, I was shaking really violently all over and had tremors in my hands, I was sweating A LOT, I was dizzy and confused and thought I was actually going to die and I felt like there were things crawling all over my skin on my arms. And the other night after about a week of drinking VERY heavily, i was really delirious and shakey (shaky) until i had a bottle of wine with dinner. when i went to bed that night i was in hot and cold sweats, anxious and paraniod - i felt like there was something/someone in my bed room. These sorts of things have happened a few times and i often get shakey (shaky) hands and chills the day after drinking.

What do you think?
It sounds that you have a serious problem and you do need professional help. I think if you read your words , you will see that your body and your brain is asking you for help. It does sound that you are putting yourself at risky situations as well, where you might not be aware of your actions. Please look for professional help while you are safe. Alcohol withdraw has risks and should be well supervised, you should be under supervision and assistance while going through treatment.
See what treatments are available for you and choose one. Best of luck.
Yes, it sounds like your an alcoholic.  With the symptoms you have cessation could be dangerous.  You need to talk to your doctor.  Withdrawal from alcohol can lead to death.  You might want to hit up an AA meeting for support.
I was told once that, if you have to ask the question, the answer is a definite yes. After reading your post though....cant believe you had to ask.lol. seriously though, you now know without a doubt that yes you are an alcoholic. Get to some AA meetings fast. Believe you me, at 25 yo, I would have told you to... well you know. However at 34 yo a nice judge told me after a dui that maybe it would be a good idea. I will tell you one thing, hit up lots of meetings in the beginning. I absolutely dreaded the thought of going. First meeting actually I didn't like, but meetings can vary greatly from location to location. I can guarantee you two things bro. #1 you will meet some awesome people and will end up actually looking forward to some meetings. And#2 , you WON'T have to be remorseful for the wreckage in your life that you have made since you first realized that, yes you are an alcoholicyou the very best. I wish also that I had figured out the same at your age.
And my mistake, for whatever reason I thought youwere 25....maybe the 25 days..? Idk, good luck again though bro
.