Addiction Expert Forum
Dr. unhelpful with weaning off Oxycodone

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Hello!
I've been taking percocet 5-325 for 2 years now [prescribed 4 per day] for a herniated disk/sciatica. My current PCP has been on my worker's comp case since the start. Suddenly, someone in that Dr. office [the woman I spoke to refused to tell me the name of the worker] claimed that I am switching Dr's, therefore my Dr. has decided to drop my case [for just cause, obviously]. However, now I am out of percocet...and definitely having the start of withdrawal with this horrendous migraine I've had all day.

My biggest question is....IS MY DR. REQUIRED TO HELP ME WEAN OFF THIS DRUG??
And...if she ISN'T......what should I do?! I've been taking 20mg per day [I know, not too bad...but sometimes more per day depending on how bad the pain is] for two years. Suddenly its taken away due to a mistake by a worker in that office?

To top it off, I have had many concerns with this Dr in the past [such as when I had a lump scare, her words verbatim were "I'd be more concerned with you losing weight, than you having breast cancer..."
Therefore...there are many underlying issues that I've had with this PCP for a while now.

Does anyone have any advice that they can give? Is this Dr. doing the wrong thing to me as her patient?
What is the best way to go about this situation?

Thank you so much!
[by the way, I'm a 26yr old female]
Tags: percocet, Oxycodone, Low back pain, unhelpful doctor, weaning off oxycodone, medical malpractice
Different states have different laws…I am not familiar with the legalities of your particular case. Worst case scenario, if the withdrawals get out of hand , just walk into the first emergency room and let them help you.
Best of luck..
By the way...I never told anyone in that office that I planned nor made any decision to switch PCP's.
Thank you for the comment! I'm trying to avoid the ER, only because of cost. However, I'm feeling absolutely terrible tonight. Worst part - my Dr. was personally supposed to call me regarding this matter by the end of the day today, and never did...so she just left me hanging.

What can an ER do to help me with something like withdrawal from medication?

Thanks again!