Addiction Expert Forum
Drugs /pregnancy

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Drugs /pregnancy

My sister is 24wks pregnant,  i already have her 10yr old daughter i adopted due to drugs. Now at 24wks she smoked crack 1x. I'm worried that even though she won't do it again it will show up in something and she'll get a cps case where i'll adopt this child too. If she doesn't do any drugs from this point on and her system is clean should she be ok at delivery? It shouldn't b in babys system by delivery if she stays clean as she's only 24 wks now???? Please any info
I hope your sister realizes how lucky she is to have you in her life. Unfortunately any thing she used after the 20th week of pregnancy will show up in baby's meconium if the test it after delivery. My guess is that with her history they might want to. What they will do with that information is up to you and the picture that is presented. Should you want to adopt this child as well, you may be able to make the case for it. I am truly sorry that you are in this situation, but those kids are lucky to have you.
I do believe that they can test the baby back to 20 weeks. Maybe she should get fixed if she can't handle staying away from crack for her children. Or maybe by one less rock and buy a condom.
Thanks so much for the info. And the compliments. I feel iam the lucky one because my daughter is the greatest gift i could have got