Addiction Expert Forum
Effects of long-term alcohol abuse on balance

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

I'm in my early 20s and I abuse alcohol. I've gone through withdrawal multiple times, been to treatment which didn't take, tried AA, etc. I currently drink 2+ bottles of wine a night (I avoid hard liquor) and I'm keeping it together. I don't want to quit. Crazy, I know, but not the issue here.

In the past, when I abused hard liquor, I had all the severe problems that come with it, including severe shakes. Those are better now. But I now have a very strange balance sensation problem. I say balance sensation because it's not a problem with my sense of balance: I have no problem standing, climbing stairs, and so on. But when I'm lying down and especially when I close my eyes, I have the feeling that the bed beneath me is whirling and twirling and spinning through space. During withdrawals, I recall having this problem much more severely. But now, it seems I have it all the time, and on some days it makes sleep impossible. My question is whether it's possible that through alcohol abuse I've somehow permanently damaged the way balance is understood in my brain. If so, is there anything that can be done about it?
What you need to do and as soon as possible is cut down your drinking. Alcohol consumption has been shown to be beneficial in moderate amounts. However, we forget that moderate amount for a woman is only a half a glass (4oz!) of wine a day and for a man a full glass of wine a day. Anything above that amount becomes detrimental to your health and certainly the amounts you are describing lead to dangerous long term central nervous system damage.
Your body needs vitamins that it is lacking due to chronic alcohol abuse. You need to see a physician and get a thourough physical.  Good luck.