Addiction Expert Forum
Fentanyl detox
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fentanyl detox

I have been on Duragesic patches 75 mcg/day for 2 years. I am officially sick of the whole thing. My Dr. Gave me an Rx for 50 mcg to start a taper and some oxymorphone to help with breakthrough pain. For reasons with insurance, i haven't been able to get the patches filled. I haven't had a patch for 5 days but the Opana has kept the withdrawal hell at bay. Now, the Opana is running out. I can get the Duragesic filled. But...I have been off fentanyl for 5 days. I know that I'm in withdrawal but it has been very subtle. When the Opana is gone, I want to go cold turkey. How bad will the withdrawal be?  Is this a bad idea?  
Many thanks for your help.  
2126606_tn?1346348724
The length and severity of withdrawal symptoms is dependent on each individual’s situation.  Safely doing this by “cold turkey” will mostly be based on your age and health.

If you are young and healthy, the withdrawal may be quite uncomfortable but usually safe. Whereas if you are older and have blood pressure issues or other health problems, there are more risks to your safety and you should make sure to have the support and guidance of your prescribing physician.
I do wish you the best of luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1350782543
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker