Addiction Expert Forum
Fioricet and Fiorinal

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Fioricet and Fiorinal

I've been on fioricet for 3 years now and it's always worked good. My doctor recently switched me from fioricet to fiorinal. She told me it was the same exact thing except stronger. Is this true? I mean I see on the bottle that it is the same meds with te exception of asprin. I'm asking because the last time I quit fioricet I needed up having withdrawals and I'm just curious if I can have withdrawals from fioricet while on fiorinal. I'm taking my last two fioricets tonight and tomorrow am supposed to start the fiorinal.
The main ingredient of both Fioricet and Fiorinal is butalbital (a barbiturate) and that is what cause the withdrawal and both contain it. The other difference is that Fioricet  contains acetaminophen and  Fiorinal   aspirin, but that should not cause any withdrawal effects.