Addiction Expert Forum
Help, getting mad!!

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Help, getting mad!!

Hi, I am 35 and 18 weeks pregnant and have been smoking pot now for almost 13 years. I function normally in my every day life, work, friends, family ect, but I want to stop now that I'm having my second child. I cut down smoking  when I was pregnant the first time to a only few puffs on a joint stopped completely at 35 weeks as the smell made me nauseous. I have now completely stopped over the last three days and am finding it continually hard to keep my cool at my three year old when he is deliberately cheeky. I am tempted to start again but only small doses....what can I do???
You want to eat right and stay away from all unneeded drugs and alcohol while you are pregnant and nursing or mothering young children. Cannabis is definitely one of those unnecessary drugs. There are conflicting studies as to whether or not it interferes with a healthy pregnancy, but why would you want to take a risk with a life of your unborn child?
Up until relatively recently there was a general misconception in the medical community that there were no physical withdrawals from cannabis. However now we know that even though those symptoms are not life threatening, they do exist. They start usually 24 40 48 hours after cessation of use and last for up to two weeks. Most can be described as depressed mood and appetite and increase in anxiety and sleeplessness. Your symptoms of withdrawal will not affect your baby or harm it in any way. However, your mood swings are affecting your relationship with your three year old, and that is something you need to do your best to control. Realize that this mood is temporary, and you are still responsible for your feelings and emotions, no matter how artificial they are.
Do your best to stay cool and collected during this trying few weeks. Try to stay active during the day, eat small healthy meals and stay well hydrated. I am so very proud of you.  Please take good care of yourself and that way you can be sure you are taking the best care of your children.
Good luck to you and stay well.
Thank you so much. I have found that after about ten days I am alot calmer and starting to be able to eat. I've alway been a healthy eater and not being a cigarette smoker has maybe helped me give up the pot. I'm feeling much better, more motivated and on top of my emotions.The first three or four days were definitely the hardest. Also I've been watching The Super Nanny....lol, lol, she certainly has some EXCELLENT tips on keeping calm when it comes to raising kids.  Once again thank you for the support. This really is a great site!! :-D