Addiction Expert Forum
Helping my husband feel better & be healthier

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

My husband is addicted to pain pills, not a SEVERE addiction, but enough that now that he has stopped taking them, his whole body is hurting. We are looking for something that we can do to help with his physical pain, BESIDES giving him another pain pill. He doesn't want them anymore, wants to kick the habit, and just needs some advice on making it thru the physical part of the pain...thanks so much, a VERY concerned wife....
There is really no easy way of detoxing from home. I have dealt with hundreds of addicts who have all told me horror stories of doing it by themselves.  I would only guess that if are successful in doing it at home you don't end up in my clinic. Just in case you are curious, it takes us three to four days to detox a patient and get him/her back home drug free and feeling well on Naltrexone therapy (no opiates).
At home, the basic technique is to space out the pills your husband takes on a consistent manner until he takes only one at night, then half at night and then none.  See if your doctor can write him a prescription for some Requip for restlessness, Neurontin for anxiety and malaise, some Flexeril or Soma for a few weeks for muscle spasms and maybe some Seroquel low dose, for sleep. It will make his withdrawals easier.  Valerian and Magnesium is sometimes helpful remedies over the counter.
Please don't let him start taking the opiates again as it will only throw him back into withdrawals once he stops again, and  make him relapse.  
But, seriously, he must be completely committed to the goal of quitting.  I have written a blog that has rather detailed information about options for detox. If you click on my name and then click on blogs you will see one under that heading.  Take a minute to read it. I hope you will find it helpful. You, as his wife, can not make the commitment to quit for him. It must be his alone.
The main thing of course is the decision that he makes and making it a priority in your life, because that will determine what his and your life will actually be and mean in the end.  I don't want to sound preachy but it is not a decision he makes one day, it is a decision he will have to make every day for the rest of your life.  
Good luck to you and your husband take a look at my blogs and my clinic website for even more info on narcotic detox www.mdsdrugdetox.com