Addiction Expert Forum
How do you help someone realize they need rehab?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

My mom has a serious pill addiction, for about 30 years now.  We talked to her finally a little, and then she decided to stop cold turkey.  We had to put her in a hospital for her safety to do safe detox.  now she NEEDS to go to rehab, the doctors even think so.  But we can't get ehr to budge.  She says she will never take another pill again, that she's cured and all fine after a one week detox.  How can we convince her she isn't better?  That one week doesn't cure 30+ years of problems and drug abuse?  We just want her healthy and happy again...  please help.

Maybe you can start by looking at a shorter term treatment, that is not a rehab per say. There are places that are more like a spa but at the same time has the therapy and resources she needs in order to get well. Due to the fact that a large number of patients do not want to enter rehab with dozens of patients using different drugs, smaller treatments are available that are individualized in more discreet. Maybe the 28 day commitment is to much as well. There are shorter term programs. Discuss with her concerns and fears, come from a place where you want to make this easier for her…
I am terribly sorry about your mother. My only words of advice are that she won't realize it until shes ready. This has been an issue I've struggled with my entire life. Not untilboth my mother and fatber realized and accepted the fact that they were addicts and needed help, did they axtually get help. It will take time. And to be honest with you, somwtimes poking at the situation makes it worse. Im not too sure of the facts in your case but id say just do whats best for you hon. dont worry  yourself with this. It will become too time consuming and it will become the cenfer of your lices worries. I wish you so much luck. And I admire your efforts to help her. please let me know how this works out. I feel you 100%.