Addiction Expert Forum
How much does it take to develop addiction to benzos?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How much does it take to develop addiction to benzos?

I started taking benzos when I could get them about a month or two ago for anxiety. I was also drinking at the time. I quit drinking a couple weeks ago and ran out of medicine at the same time. I started having panic attacks a couple days later and went to the hospital. The doctor gave me some .5 xanax, I've been taking a half during the day and one at night until a few days ago I decided to quit because I felt like they were making the anxiety worse when I wouldn't take them. Last night I couldn't sleep, was panicking, i've had an unquenchable thirst, a horrible headache and just felt like I was going absolutely crazy. Could this be withdrawal even though I haven't been taking very much? Will it get better? I just hope it's not anxiety getting worse
1684282_tn?1350782543
The best way for you to stop Xanax is to taper it and not to stop abruptly. By tapering I mean taking less and less every day, until you take only a half at night for a few nights and then, only a quarter. But you must find another way to deal with your anxiety issues. Have you ever got therapy? you may need to consider that option to work through that and find some alternative ways of dealing with panic attacks such as breathing techniques, visualizations, biofeedback, etc..  Otherwise the benzos or alcohol will always be there  as a fall back  position, if you do not have other tools and learn to use them effectively. Good luck to you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1350782543
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now