Addiction Expert Forum
I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING

I AM A 42 YR OLD MALE.  I HAVE HAD TYPE II DIABETES FOR THE PAST 5 YRS AND TREAT IT DAILY WITH INSULIN.  IN MAY 1998 I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE AND IN OCTOBER A HEART CATHETERIZATION DETERMINED THAT I ALSO HAVE CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE.  MY DOCTORS HAVE CHOSEN TO TREAT MY PROBLEMS WITH ALOT OF MEDICATION.  I TRIED ZYBAN FOR 2 MONTHS TO QUIT SMOKING, AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE REDUCED MY SMOKING HABIT FROM 1 1/2 PACKS A DAY TO ABOUT 1/2 PACK A DAY, I JUST CANT LET GO OF IT ENTIRELY.  WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?????

Scott,
You clearly need to stop smoking altogether; doing so will have a very positive effect on your life expectancy.  You would clearly benefit from an education group smoking cessation program, and you should contact the closest branches of the American Lung Association or the American Cancer Society to find out about them if your physician cannot help you locate one.  You should then set a quit date, and once you have quit, consider trying the Nicorette Gum (4mg, available over the counter) whenever you feel like having a cigarette.  I am also quite impressed with a new prescription product, the Nicotrol Inhaler, for which your doctor can give you a prescription.  Read what one of my patients had to say about this product:
"I am finally doing it, I am not smoking ANYMORE! I started the Nicotrol Inhaler System on Sunday night. I have been
smoking hardcore now for well over 12 years. I need to use 2 inhalers daily due to severe respiratory problems. These
medicines, as well as other meds I take, make up quite the cocktail. And so, with that said, I started the long journey of
smoking cessation. LUCKILY, with the aid of the Nicotrol inhaler, I'm amazed that I'm not smoking. When I crave a butt, I
head straight for the inhaler, and I am okay. I get the nicotine that I need to NOT LIGHT UP! So, let me tell you what it is
like.........The Nicotrol Inhaler comes pre-packaged in a box which includes the following:
   1.Plastic Cartridge Container (similar in appearance to a cigarette package)
   2.A two-part inhaler/cigarette holder. This piece is also plastic, mouth piece is similar to a cigar tip. (Great to chew on, you
     know, that "hand to mouth fixation")
   3.Seven strips of packaged cartridges. Each strip contains six cartridges containing 10 mg of nicotine each. The strip fits
     nicely into the plastic container. Hence, a pack of cigarettes, (container, cartridges, and
     mouth-piece.) VERY CONVINCING LOOKING AND FEELING!!! Thumbs up for sure!
"So, let's see, I started on Monday. It is now Friday morning, and I am only on the second strip of cartridges. I have used only 9
cartridges thus far, or 90 mg of nicotine, although the company insists that each 10mg cartridge actually delivers only 4mg. So,
when I do the math I have inhaled exactly the right amount of nicotine for me, especially in the beginning of a maintenance
program such as this. Okay, my advice for the Nicotrol Inhaler is as follows:
"Talk to your Doctor and figure out the proper dosage together.
"Don't over-use the inhaler. However, chewing on the dang thing is just fine.
"Thank you DrSteve for allowing me this opportunity to test out the product. You are the man !!! Thank you. My complaints are
few with one major problem.
"It is extremely difficult to know when the cartridge is empty of nicotine. After a couple of days, I have sort of gotten the idea
that four uses of each cartridge seems to be adequate. I just toss the cartridge and insert another. Side effects are minimal.
When I began the Nicotrol system, I did cough, I had some mouth irritation, but it dissipated pretty much right away.
"So, for now, I am gonna keep on puffing on this inhaler. I think I can do it. Just gotta stay away from that there chocolate
cake!!!"

I have had several patients respond just as enthusiastically!
If you are determined to stop and you keep working at it, you will succeed!
All the best,
Steve Adelman, M.D. (a.k.a. DrSteve)

The information provided is for general medical education purposes only, and not a substitute for medical diagnosis and treatment provided by your physician.

Keywords:  smoking cessation, nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler
Ask DrSteve:  The Real Story About Smoking, Drinking & Getting High