Addiction Expert Forum
Mastabation

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Mastabation
What are the consequences of this act and what are the ways to avoid it?
That said... there are conditions involving masturbation that are quite distressing to patients.  It can become an obsession-- as can many behaviors-- where the person has a sense of being 'controlled' by the behavior, rather than being in control.  A person may be masturbating literally dozens of times per day as manifestation of an anxiety disorder;  excessive masturbation can also be a problem in cases of mental retardation or dementia.  

Treatment can include psychotherapy in the form of CBT or psychodynamic therapy, or can include medication like SSRIs, which reduce sex drive.
can you elaborate?.......Masturbation is normal, unless it becomes an obsession compulsion .......all you think about .  Need more info.

Nauty...........
hi there.
I see you are in Zambia.
in the western world, masturbation is considered normal.
the consequences of masturbating are nothing to worry about.
you will not go blind, no matter how often you do it.
the only way to avoid it are not to do it.
if you have a wife or girlfriend, perhaps she could help you so that you don't feel the urge to masturbate.
i hope this helps you.
hey nick,
Thank you for your suggetion and apprecaite your advise.
I just heard on the radio (from a medical doctor) that girls who masterbate at a young age do it for comfort due to tension/stress in the household.  I'm trying to figure out if I need to seek help.  I have noticed lately that I have a hard time maintaining a job once someone makes it stressful or adds tension.  I end up leaving the job because I'm so uncomfortable and feel helpless.  I started masterbating before I was in kindergarden and I'm wondering if it was due to the atmosphere in my home.  my mother also told me that I was strangled by my dad at a young age...which I have no recollection of.  I have a hard time remembering alot of the things that happend when I was younger.  It's like a splotchy memory, so to say.  I'm curious if there was a chance that I was sexually abused when I was little.  Remember, I can't remember anything.  I'd like to be able to deal with all of this and keep my job...but I always feel helpless, like I can't speak my mind when someone is controlling or manipulative, or when I don't like what the other person says/does.  I just shut down right away...when I would rather speak up against it and for myself.  It's the oddest thing.... could something have happend when I was younger that is affecting my performance now?