Addiction Expert Forum
Meth Addiction

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Meth Addiction
My son has a meth addiction.  He left yesterday to go to a 30 day inpatient treatment program.  He has 2 sons and he and his girlfriend have been together for 5 years.  I know meth is hard to quit since it is man made nothing natural, what can you tell me about treatment.  I know treatment success depends on if the person wants to get better.  He went of his own will, however he was given the ultimatum get help or his girlfriend and the kids are leaving.  I don't know how much he uses, he goes for months with none and then out of the blue its back.
You are right-- how he will do will depend on a number of factors, including his desire to change, his willingness to learn from others, his ability to remember the bad times, the quality of the counselors..    staying clean usually requires adopting recovery as a 'lifestyle' to some extent.  He will have to avoid other intoxicants too-- not just meth.  And he will have to tolerate a good hard look at himself, and a willingness to see what is really going on.

The biggest favor you can do him is to do anything in your power to keep him there.  If he wants to leave, tell him that if he does you will never help him financially-- ever.  Make sure he stays there, and if there is any chance of getting him into a halfway house, do that too.  The longer he is in a recovering community, the higher his chances for staying clean.