Addiction Expert Forum
Methadone Dosage Change Due to Incivek

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Methadone Dosage Change Due to Incivek
I have beenon methadone maintenance for 15 months.  I have just started treatment for Hepatitis C.  I have heard that Incivek makes your methadone dose metabolize faster.  Some of the side effects of the hepatitis C meds are similar to opiate withdrawal.  I am presently on 95 mg methadone a day.  I want to try to keep my dose low without going through withdrawal.  I need to stay on the methadone or I will relapse and that is the last thing I want.  Is there a standard dose increase for patients with Hep c?
Incivek increases hepatic metabolism of methadone, thus it may decrease its level in your blood stream. You have to discuss this with both your liver doctor and your doctor in the methadone clinic and keep them in touch with each other.  It affect every one differently, thus they will need to monitor you and adjust accordingly. Good luck.