Addiction Expert Forum
On Subutex...having surgery

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

On Subutex...having surgery

I have been on Subutex for a long while now and I am scheduled to have hernia surgery on July 10th.  The surgeon is aware and so is my addiction specialist.  My surgeon said I will need strong pain meds, he likes to use Percocet...well the Addiciton specialist, says the pain won't be that bad and I should only need Ibuprofen 800 for about 1 or 2 days!  I told the surgeon that and he disagreed!!!  He understands that I am scared about the pain medicine, but I believe that I will be ok.  I will have the subutex to go right back on.  The anesthesiologist has the capabilities to unblock the receptors and everything should go smoothly for the pain medicine to work and start right back on the Subutex.  I am just concerned...has anyone been in this situation, if so...please help!!!

Kel
Again, I cover this extensively on my blog...  I have found that the ideal way to handle this situation for most people is to first be certain the person is taking 8 mg of suboxone or subutex per day OR LESS.   4 mg is enough to prevent withdrawal for most people.  I keep the person on 4-8 mg of buprenorphine throughout the surgery and post-surgical period, and treat pain with oxycodone in doses of 15-30 mg every 4-6 hours.  I have done this approach with about 20 patients now, and the same thing has always happened;  they claim that the oxycodone works in a way that they have never experienced before, where it relieves the pain, but there is no euphoria, no pleasant warm feeling, and not 'pull' toward the medication.  I used to stop the Suboxone for a few days, but now I do it this other way;  it also makes it much easier after the recovery period, as the person can just stop the agonist and go back to the regular dose of suboxone, without any need for a period of abstinence.
1 Comment
I too, will be having surgery as of Nov.9th. A tubal ligation and laproscopy. I have heard, NO PAIN MEDICATIONS will help you, to YOU WILL BE FINE. Would love the TRUE  correct answer, possibly from someone who had similar procedure, or abdominal procedures while on subutex. Thank you.