Addiction Expert Forum
Opiates and herion

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Opiates and herion

I was wondering can the drug tests u get before and after delivering your baby tell the difference between doing opiates like oxycodone and herion or do they both just show up as opiates? And if they can tell the difference how far back does it go for the herion? And will they take the baby away from the mother for one dirty test? And would the mother get the baby taken away if she's just dirty for weed? I'm really worried cause I didn't even find out I was pregnant till I was 35wks as unbelievable as that may sound cause I have a really deep and bad scar on my stomach that prevents me from getting any kind of baby bump and I have PCOS so I haven't had a period in years...
Every state has different regulation and it may vary from hospital to hospital. It can also depend on your OB/midwife. What they tell you can very much depend on you, if you got regular and early prenatal care, very cooperative and followed all their instructions; if you present yourself as a caring and cared for mother to be, then there may not be any reason for them to test you. However if you or those around you send out warning signals with their presentation, dress or behavior, your health provider can very well test your baby's meconium (poop) without your consent. They can not test you without your express consent and knowledge.
You should be aware that your baby's meconium will show every drug you have used from the 20th week of pregnancy.
But you  should relax, they do not just take babies away from their mothers unless you give other major indicators for doing so. Behave in a measured, reasonable manner, dress appropriately, show that you are taking care of yourself, thus of the baby, I'm sure it will be fine. It seems that you have developed good rapport with the doctor and talk to him regularly and openly. You should always be honest. Trust me they have heard it all.
Please read my blog on pregnancy and addiction by clicking on my name in blue and than "blogs". Good luck to you.