Addiction Expert Forum
Painkiller addict

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Painkiller addict

Hi. Please help my understand what is going on with my boyfriend that just entered rehab. We we so in love. Everything was amazing between us. I actually had no clue he was into painkillers untill his mom told me. Once i knew he changed. One day he was telling me how much he loved me, next one he was pushing me away. It was like that for about two weeks. Then i just couldnt take it no more and i left. I actually moved 1500 miles away. On top of everything i found out i was pregnant. When i told him. He said he is not in a right state of mind now and he is not ready to be a dad. I told him i am keeping the baby. I allready have a 5 year old that he loved so much. And now. He is silent. He goes to that thing every day for few hours. Thats alli know. He has only been clean for about a week. But he doesent contact me. He ignores me. Is that a normal behavior when you enter a rehab? His mom told me he has no emotions right now. He just sleeps. And he is down all the time. She told me to hsng on a wait that he will change. Will he?

What does change really means? Did you meet him before he had an drug issue? It’s hard to know what’s coming. It sounds like he has more in his hands then he is able to handle right now. You are trying to make sense of a very confusing and unstable time . He has to get well himself before he commits to anyone and/or anything. He is probably scared and ashamed. He probably feels uncertain of his own wellbeing and future right now and is not ready to make you promises he can’t keep. It’s hard , I know, but is his reality right now. Hopefully he will be able to be healthy again and be there for others…
Not just that but what you might not understand is that those painkillers actually had a lot to do with his emotions. Not that he doesn't love you off of them I'm sure he does but he can't feel anything but pain at the moment without them. They do something terrible to your body. They pretty much replace any real feeling that you have and you're okay when you take them but when they're gone it's like your body shuts down and you actually get emotionally and physically sick. He will get better after that first hump in the beginning right now I'm sure he's just trying to figure out how to handle this. It took a couple weeks before I even decided if I wanted to live or if my life was really worth it to me or anyone else. It's just a really bad mess to be in but I'm sure he'll come around it just takes time. Another factor is you aren't around him now and he probably feels ashamed that he messed something amazing up.