Addiction Expert Forum
Paxil and tremers

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Paxil and tremers

Posted by ChrisBartlett on June 18, 1999 at 16:06:13
   I recently increased my dosage of Paxil from 20mg every 2 days to 20mg every day. I did this because 2 weeks ago I would start to shake after every meal. I assumed it was because I was not taking enough Paxil. At this point I increased the dosage . A week later the shaking got worse acompanied with vomiting after meals.I would also start sweating after eating, and could not sleep at night. My doctor told me to stop taking Paxil altogether because that was causing the shaking, not the anxiety.He explained that the seratonin levels in my brain were too high. I am on my second day without the Paxil and the shaking is still bad. I do consume about 6 beers a night and have done so for about a year, which is the only thing I have found to help me sleep.
    I need advice: do you think I should continue not taking the Paxil, or do you think the alcohol is causing theese symptoms.

Posted by SA, M.D. - HVMA on June 23, 1999 at 17:27:10
Dear Chris,
In my opinion, it's not a good idea to be taking an antidepressant when you are drinking heavily.  Six beers a day is more than ANYONE should drink.  It's enough to develop physical dependence on alcohol, and enough to lead to cirrhosis of the liver and other alcohol-related medical problems.
The alcohol withdrawal syndrome is one of the hallmarks of alcohol dependence, and it frequently involves the shakes and nausea and/or vomiting.  For this reason, you should be examined by a doctor who can determine whether or not you are in withdrawal.  If it is withdrawal, you will benefit from detoxification.
For more on alcohol dependence, withdrawal, and detoxification, check out my Ask DrSteve web site:  http://www.drsteve.org .  
Get thee to a doctor sooner, not later.  Good luck,
DrSteve Adelman
Keywords:  alcohol dependence, alcohol withdrawal, detoxification