Addiction Expert Forum
Picking on blankets
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Picking on blankets

I have this addiction where I pick on tiny fibers on my blankets and sheets in times of stress. I have been having this problem as a child. I pick on the small balls of fiber and rub them around my knuckles and fingers and I get constant blisters. I'm so embarrassed, I'm afraid to even tell my own psychiatrist. I have been diagnosed with OCD, ADHD, anxiety, and manic depression. I have been on all sorts of medication but my doctor limited me to Zoloft. It's really hard to stop picking on my blankets and I don't know what to do...
1684282_tn?1350782543
It is extremely important to be honest wit your treating physician, especially your psychiatrist. How can s/he properly tailor your medication regiment if they are unaware of the actual severity of your symptoms?  The last think you should be feeling when sharing with your doctor is embarrassment. They are there to help you and trust me, they have heard it all! Blanket picking is tame by comparison ! Good luck to you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1350782543
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now