Addiction Expert Forum
Pregnancy and pain meds

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Pregnancy and pain meds
I am 8 weeks pregnant and have ehlers danlos hypermobilty syndrome. I have had multiple surgerys on my joints in the past few years. I have been taking Vicodin for chronic pain for 5 years because I have tried everything else. I have done physical therapy, surgery, chiropractor, injections and much more. I don't think I can live through 9 months without pain medication. I tried just taking the Tylenol. My pain doctor said it was okay to take the Vicodin but my OB doctor wants me to stop (he is more by the book). Is there anything better to take? If my pain gets bad my blood pressure increases. I don't know what's worse. Pleas help
Your two doctors need to talk and work out a plan that will work for you. Obviously being in pain is not an option, so you need to be on something to control it. Vicodin is not the worst thing during pregnancy depending on the dose you take. The baby may have withdrawals if you do not breastfeed after delivery, but if your dose is too high there is always a concern of respiratory depression in the baby   while breastfeeding.
There are other options for pain control during pregnancy that is safer during both pregnancy and breastfeeding - medication called Subutex, but both of your doctors must be familiar with it. You may need to consider looking for a physician who is more familiar with that medication during pregnancy if that is the case. Take good care of yourself.
Any suggestions
Dies subutex work for pain? I thought it was used for opiate addiction.
It is an opiate and it does wok for pain.