Addiction Expert Forum
Pregnant addicted to opiates

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Pregnant addicted to opiates

Im 7 months pregnant and have been using percocet, norco, and subutex for the past 10 years, on and off. I was able to stop using with my past two pregnancies but for some reason I can stop now. I keep trying to stop using and get clean but I can't, I have really bad withdrawals when I don't use anything. Im worried about my baby being born and having withdrawals. I feel so ashamed and know im a awful mother for doing this to my unborn child. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or what can help me? Am I the only person that has gone through this? Please help, any advice will help.
At this point in your pregnancy, any major physical stress can cause you to go into early labor.  Please make sure your Obgyn is aware of the issue, so they can arrange to have the proper precautions when the baby is born and help guide you through these last few months to keep you in a safe and balanced dosage for you and your baby.  Nowadays there is lots of medical recourse to stabilize your baby if he is born with any withdrawal.  Please stay safe and my prayers are with you both.
Are you concerned if your baby is born being addicted and going through withdrawls, you could not take your baby home with you at all. I suggest telling your doctor right now, and trying to save your child and yourself, and trying to be a family. If theres a chance to save yourselves, I would definately try immediately. Be strong.
I read your post. Please seek a physician to help u thru this. I'm nit a doctor but I bet they will keep u on a low dise til u deliver. I found some very supportive doctors during recovery. Clear from opiates for 10 months. Mist important pray. My prayer during detox was simple: help me and thank u. He dud me. No he didn't take the pain away but I wasn't alone u will feel better and that's a promise I'm being honest recovery is hard. Very hard. For right now take care of your most basic needs and the miracle if the new baby. U r not a terrible person because u took pain meds. Focus on God baby and u fir now