Addiction Expert Forum
Pregnant and hooked on codein

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Pregnant and hooked on codein
Hello, I'm a 20 year old woman and recently found out I was 4 weeks pregnant, iv been using pain meds for almost 3 years now and when I don't take atleast 2 pills every 2 hours, my head starts killing me.. Now I need to stop because I want what's best for my baby and I don't know how to, iv read other forums I can relate to and going cold turkey isn't good for my baby? Even at 4 weeks?

Please help, how do I stop and how long till the pain goes away?
Gentle tapering from codeine has not been shown to cause miscarriage or any other damage to the baby while pregnant, especially when done under physician's guidance. Make sure your OB is involved in this process and is checking in on the baby's progress. It is very important for you both to be clean at the time of delivery so that you can have healthy and meaningful bonding, you can nurse safely and start your new life as a mother in a beautiful and committed way.