Addiction Expert Forum
Pregnant and smoking oxycodone Help

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Pregnant and smoking oxycodone Help

I am now 18 weeks pregnant and i smoke about 4 blues a day.. oxycodone 30 mg.. i use to always be the person that said i would never do anything while pregnant that would harm my baby if i ever became pregnant but overtime ive caught myself doing this.everyday now. I smoke them off foil after theyve been crushed up. Please dont judge and just give me honest answers. What can happen to my baby since im using oxycodone.   Btw at my doctor appointments all my blood tests for genetics and everything came back fine and my last ultrasound at 16 weeks there was no abnormalties but im still scared that my child might have something wrong once hes born. Please let me know what things could happen. Thanks.
If you give birth to a baby while still on oxycodone, baby will go into withdrawal a few days after delivery if you do not breastfeed because of oxycodone level falling in his bloodstream. Breastfeeding while on oxycodone has been done, but there have been reported cases of respiratory arrests and deaths in infants while breastfeeding from mothers taking pure opiate agonist such as oxycodone.  There are better ways of approaching your situation.
I do hope that this time around you will have good, caring thoughtful doctors and medical team to provide you with better advice. If you are not sure, please feel free to check in with us here.   You must talk to your OB/GYN. if you don't have one, find one.  A midwife group is maybe even better.  They treat many women addicted to opiates and will be able to refer you to a physician who will be able to manage you on Suboxone or Subutex and will over a few months taper you off. You and the doctor will need to work together to aggressively get you off the meds by the time you are ready to deliver the baby.  Subutex is the best and safest way to manage addiction during pregnancy.  It allows you to taper yourself (and the baby) safely and quickly off narcotics with minimal withdrawals.
Suboxone and Subutex are both commonly used medication to help pregnant addicts stop using and have been found safe to use in pregnancy to help mom stop her addiction.  It is certainly far safer than continuing the methadone. In case you are unable to wean completely off the Subutex or Suboxone, there have been numerous documented cases of babies delivered and nursed by moms on low doses of either medication without respiratory depression or deaths reported in babies. If you want to know more about these medication you can check them out on my website at http://www.mdsdrugdetox.com/rapid-suboxone-detox/  Please see you doctor or midwife ASAP.   Good luck to you. I do wish you all the best and may this new baby bring you new-found joy and health.