Addiction Expert Forum
Quitting Klonopin Cold Turkey-No Psychiatric Help
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Quitting Klonopin Cold Turkey-No Psychiatric Help

I have been on 6-10 mgs per day of klonopin for the past four months and just recently ran out of my supply.  When I talked to my psychiatrist, she said that was way too much (can cause seizures when mixed with Lamictal).  She won't write me another prescription in fear that I will start taking too much again, but I've been off it (cold turkey) for two days now and I can't sleep, my heart races, my anxiety is back, I have uncontrollable deep muscle spasms, feel like I want to rip my skin off and can't stop pacing all night.  How is this good for me? I don't know what to do, especially because she won't write even a script for half mg pills and I feel like I'm going to die.  I don't want to go back on that high of a dose, especially now that I know how close I came to killing myself.  I just want to be able to stop the detoxing side effects.  How long will this last?
Related Discussions
666151_tn?1311117976
You are at serious risk, stopping that much clonazepam 'cold turkey'. There are three substances that have potentially fatal withdrawal;  alcohol, benzos (clonazepam, xanax, valium, etc) and barbiturates.   The main problems come from seizures, that can come without warning while you are driving down the highway, or from 'DT's', where the person becomes delirious and confused to the point of not caring for himself.

The proper treatment would be to taper you down over several weeks.  I suggest going to an ER or detox or psych facility and explaining the situation.  It can be done outside the hospital, often using an anticonvulsant to avoid a return to high dosing by the patient.

Another way to do it that I have used is to give the patient a prescription for clonazepam for only two days, with 5 refills... or a series of prescriptions with 'fill after' dates, each with a lower dose.  Your doc took the easy, and dangerous, way out-- and in my opinion is responsible for anything bad that happens related to your withdrawal.  But don't let that keep you from getting yourself taken care of.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, 1 mg. per day for 1 month was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1410976195
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now