Addiction Expert Forum
Quitting Klonopin Cold Turkey

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Quitting Klonopin Cold Turkey

I have been on at least 2 mgs per day of Klonopin for the past five months and for the past month up to 6-8 mgs per day.  My psychiatrist cut me off cold turkey due to possible interactions with other drugs I am taking (in particular, Lamictal).  She said that after two days I had already been through the worst, but my withdrawls have only increased in intensity and diversity of symptoms, including, but not limited to:  confusion, feeling like I'm not in my body, headache, nausea, vomitting, no short term memory, dizziness, random muscle contractions.  I know I'm leaving out a couple, but these are the most troubling.  My pschiatrist WILL NOT write another prescription for Klonopin so I cannot taper off it.  Should I contact someone to get a second opinion about this quitting cold turkey?  I don't know if any of this is dangerous to my health.
Please see my answer from tonight a few questions back--
You need to do something...The klonopin is still leaving your system. Your doctor is obligated to taper you. Definite possiblility of seizure with cold turkey.  Your doctor is yet anothor doctor that knows nothing about benzo's. You are in danger. Don't want to scare you but I know what I'm talking about, I took more than you, all by prescription.

Benzo's are the worst and the LONGEST drugs to come off of. How bad and how long depends on dose and length of time taken. Heavy users count years not days.  Keep you head about you, because the "head withdrawls" are as bad as the body withdrawals.

DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY!!!

See site - benzo.org.uk (Ashton Manual).

abby
Got a script so I can go back up to 1.5 mgs a day then taper off that.  Thank you for the advice, though.  At least now I know coming down off it will be a hell of a lot easier tapering off than going through withdrawls like I have been.