Addiction Expert Forum
Quitting Vicodin

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Quitting Vicodin

I'm so afraid to tell my doctor that I'm addicted to Vicodin, because I know she'll stop prescribing it and I feel like she will judge me. I'm really anxious about the withdrawal symptoms because I'm hypersensitive to medication and side effects. It feels like I have just been hit by a bus when I stop taking hydrocodone for a couple days. How long do these withdrawals last? I have only been on this medication for a year or less, by the way. Thanks.
Tags: quitting, Vicodin, withdrawal, hydrocodone, vicodin withdrawal, OTC Remedies, Facing addiction, tapering

You are probably right about her not prescribing anymore . but I thought that is what you want. The withdrawal should last around 4 to 5 days. Than is just about the chemical imbalance. Try moving around, skip caffeine and sugars ( that will cause more anxiety) and take warm baths. I don’t know if your doctor will judge you once she sees you are trying to quit. Maybe she wil help you. In any case , I wish you success in quitting.
Thanks for the response. Yes it is what I want, it's just the addiction thinking for me and creates a back and forth battle. Thanks for the tips, I am relieved to know it only lasts around 5 days. I thought it would be a couple weeks.
I have one more question. Is there anything I could do to relieve the extreme fatigue and tiredness?  I just want to know if anything will help since I shouldn't drink caffeine and still have to work and go on with daily life. Thanks!