Addiction Expert Forum
Smoking and Panic Disorder
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Smoking and Panic Disorder

Posted By Anthony Phillips on June 17, 1999 at 00:53:04
Sirs,
    I am a 30 year old male who up until a few years ago thought I had very good health, even though i have been a smoker for 14 years. I went through a very stressful period in my life about five years ago, and began having panic attacks during this time. It took my doctor and his medical associates 2 and 1/2 years to tell me they could find nothing physically wrong with me, after numerous test and procedures, I do thank thenm for their consistency though, but I was diagnosed soon after by a psychotherapist who said after a few sessions and some testing on her part, that I had severe depression and panic disorder. I have been on Paxil, 20mg a day, for about the last 2 and 1/2 years, and my depression is gone, and the panic attacks very rare and mild when they do occur. My question is this, I want to quit smoking, and I haven't found a good way to help me yet, I've tried gum, Zyban, and cold turkey, but I can't seem to let go of this addiction. I want to know how the smoking is effecting my panic disorder, if it is at all, or if it could in someway have been a contributing factor in having gotten panic disorder in the first place. The fears I have now are towards a heart attack or cancer, and I know my panic situation doesn't help with those. Any advise you could give would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Re: Smoking and Panic Disorder R.S., EdD, HVMA 6/17/1999
(2)

Smoking and Panic Disorder Donna 7/05/1999
(1)

Re: Smoking and Panic Disorder Jerry 7/10/1999
(0)