Addiction Expert Forum
Spice

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Spice

My son (32 y.o.) is addicted to "spice". He was a heavy pot smoker for years and got into trouble 5 years ago. He is on probation now so can't smoke pot and changed to spice since it cannot be found on drug tests.I know he is self-medicating, his son died 3 years ago at age 2, his dad was abusive and introduced him to drugs and he has had a bad go of it his whole life. Dropped out of school after 9th grade and doesn't have much education other than his GED. I am TERRIFIED. I know he is very depressed, has never dealt with his sons death and the guilt he felt over the fact that I had been raising him. He is now smoking so much of this spice that he will pass out standing up and spend nights out in his shed. His girlfriend is trying to deal with it but is ready to leave and I can't blame her but I worry it would be the last straw for him. He refuses to even discuss quitting. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Spice is as relatively new "stuff" on the market, but what is know about it is very alarming.
Professor John W. Huffman, who first synthesised many of the cannabinoids used in synthetic cannabis,(this man created this stuff) is quoted as saying, "People who use it are idiots." "You don't know what it's going to do to you."
To an adult who uses it, it can cause heart attacks, convulsions, psychosis, severe agitation that can not be treated with normal sedatives that are available in the ER.
You have every right to be concerned for your son. However, you are in a very difficult position here, since the only person who can make him quit is himself. He needs to come to a place in life where he understand that he needs to do something positive for himself. What he is doing right now is pure self destruction.
You need to let him know that you love him and you are there for him and he has people that care and life to live. The only one that can make the right decision is your son. You just have to be there to support him.  It must be breaking your heart. I'm so sorry. Good luck.
Thank you, it helps just to know that I have done the right thing by letting him know I am here and love him-he is still using it and it does break my heart but I feel like I have done everything I can to help him. I guess now it is a wait and see. Thank you again.
Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Dr. Julia