Addiction Expert Forum
Switching one addiction for another
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Switching one addiction for another

I was using heroin for years I've been clean for 3 1/2 but I am noticing I have urges to cut myself again. I am taking Pegasus triple therapy now but I haven't noticed any depression. I really am done with using drugs but I don't want to start cutting again . Sometimes I justify it by scratching myself with my nails until I bleed but it's okay because I'm not using a razor? I know many coping skills but these urges are as strong as herion   Urges. Any suggestions? I prefer to stay off all anti depressants but am open to all suggestions.
1684282_tn?1350782543
Dear Nina,
Any and all self harm is not good for you. Both using heroin, cutting or scratching till you bleed indicates that you are trying to cover up some kind of deep emotional pain that you may or may not be aware of.  Heroin helped you to cover up the pain inside by numbing it and hurting yourself helps you forget feeling that same emotional pain.
If you do not address whatever that issue is, you will never be able to free yourself from those urges. Please talk to a psychiatrist or psychologist. You may not need medications, but good talk therapy, or some behavioral technique or coping suggestion may be very helpful. Good luck to you and congratulations on staying clean. My hat is off to you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1350782543
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now