Addiction Expert Forum
The stink of alcoholics
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

The stink of alcoholics

My boyfriend came back last night after a night out with friends smelling like an alcoholic who’s been drinking for a month without stopping. The thing is that he has not been drinking that much, ok he was obviously not sober and he took more than usual, but he was still standing firm on his feet.

He is Japanese and I know it’s something with his metabolism. I hear that smell very often on the trains in Tokyo on Friday night. In Europe however that smell from people is very rare, I only heard it from alcoholics living on the streets, those that are never sober.

I’m not bothered by my bf’s drinking at all, he does not drink much normally, but I am very bothered by the smell. It wasn’t the smell of alcohol but rather some kind of nasty sweet aldehyde-type of smell. The whole house stank, I couldn’t sleep.

I read up on alcohol metabolism, and it seems Asians might have a problem metabolizing acetaldehyde. Is that what it is? Thing is he does not have alcohol flush reaction (my grandma had it, so I’m quite sure it’s not it). Could it be that his body stops breaking down alcohol properly after a while, and that ‘while’ is much earlier than in Europeans?

What is this smell? It was very very specific, some simple chemical substance that I heard before in chemical labs as well. If I could identify it, I would find it in a chemical lab and let him smell it so that he can at least understand what is bothering me so much.

And lastly a crazy question. Is there anything that he can take to boost his metabolism to avoid that horrible stink?