Addiction Expert Forum
Tramadol w/d with doctor help

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Tramadol w/d with doctor help

Hello! I had posted before about getting help through my doc with tramadol and fioricet tapering. A month ago I met w/ my doc & he asked me to taper fioricet first, which I have from 6/day to 1-2/day & still going to less, without much of an issue. I requested that decrease b/c I knew the rebound headache issue with taking too much APAP. He then said I would start the tramadol taper- 1/2 pill every 1-2 weeks. I have tried this and even dropping 1/2 tab is giving me horrible anxiety, feeling sick, ect. Plus I want to get off of tramadol ASAP, although I realize I need to not drop off too quickly due to seizure risks. (I am taking my Rx dose of 4/day and have been for approx 18 months).

My PCP's interest is addiction meds, and he made it clear that I'm not necessarily an "addict" but have become dependent on tramadol by following the RX, by doing nothing wrong...regardless, I still fall in this same problem with w/d symptoms. My question is while I am decreasing this med are there other meds that could be prescribed to help minimize the w/d symptoms so that perhaps I can tolerate the drop better and maybe even decrease a little more quickly than 1/2 every 1-2 weeks? I'm wondering if calling to ask that is reasonable?

His NPs and staff have a bad habit of treating people like "addicts" and I don't want to have to go through that phone call if its not a reasonable request.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Drugs that are used to withdrawal are usually blood pressure drugs and muscle relaxants to decrease the anxiety and muscle discomfort. Be aware that most muscle relaxants can cause dependency as well. Wish you and easy detox
Well I don't want to be prescribed to something that is addictive. Being on my prescribed dose of tramadol has gotten me here. Really frustrating. Oh well. I guess I am better off tapering on my own.