Addiction Expert Forum
Tramadol

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Tramadol

Is it safe to quit cold turkey from tramadol after being on it for 2 years?  
In most cases is safe and it takes 3 to 5 days. But safety of withdrawal is a combination of factors like age, health condition, amount taken and etc. It is always wise to discuss your plans with your prescribing physician first. Best of luck.
thank you so much for your response.  
Hi I was on tramadol about that long and I had to taper off
It depends how much you were taking how strong you  are.
You will go through withdrawals either way. I tappered down for 6
Weeks and now I'm on day 6 of no tram its been the hardest thing
I've ever done.  But the help here is what gets me through.
i'm so happy to hear of your success.  how many tramadol were you taking in a day?  were you prescribed this?  
I am currently on day 11 of cold turkey detox from a 7 year addiction with Tramadol and codeine phosphates.
My "regular" daily intake was usually 50x50mg Tramadol hydrochloride (10x50mg every 90 mins!) then I would finish the day with the codeines, (640mgs taken during 2 "sessions", 320mgs at a time!)
I get these meds prescribed but instead of them lasting me 2 weeks they were lasting 2 days so I went out and spent tens of thousands of pounds over the years buying them off people who also have these meds prescribed.
As a result My marriage broke down because of the lying and denying, I thought that was painful enough until I started this cold turkey detox!
Make no bones about it this WILL be the most painful, harrowing emotional roller coaster ride of your life like it has been for me but if I can do it ANYONE CAN.
I am normally not a strong willed person, Im not a tough guy, ( down to 10.5 stone from 13 stone in weight because of these evil tramadols but I believe I have "broke its back" and am on the road to recovery now. Please feel free to ask any questions anytime.
Thank you, Richard
Hi how is it going? Yes I was prescribed my meds I was on 300 mg er a day and 50 mg 3x a day I quit the 300's first and covered it with the 50's until I felt ok then went after the  rest that was hard...im on day ten now and im begining to feel  bettter, I can sleep small amounts but still up most the night the rls and agitation is better but not gone enough to let me sleep. I take a LOT of different vitamins now to help me, but I am still dealing with pain from my injuries and I still take baclofen for spasms I also have topiramate but im trying to quit that as well..so im not there yet..but I will be.
Been a relatively ok day today but last night I only managed 3 sweat soaked hours sleep even though it was a freezing night last night and I only used a sheet to sleep on account of the night sweats,
I must try to sleep again 22.10pm here, please still feel free to post questions to me and I will reply to any soon,
Will be awake properly before 630am no doubt so don't hesitate to contact me,
Good night, take care and hang in there more importantly.
Exchausted! Here we go "ding bloody ding"
Speak to you all soon.
Can't believe it! day13 (scary!!) and I have just woken from almost 8 hours sleep! I was up and down maybe 6 times but nevertheless 8 HOURS SLEEP IN ONE SITTING! I got less than that in my my first week of detox!
Gonna ensure this is going to be a good day (even though weather is über horrible outside!)