Addiction Expert Forum
Understanding this tapering

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Understanding this tapering

I was prescriped 4000 milligrams of vicodin for the last 5 years. I decided i didnt want to be on them anymore. Last week I went down 5 mg a day until I am now at 3 5mg. I was fine until I had class Fri and Sat and then I started ti get jittery and sweaty. I went to a walk in clinic and told them what I was doing so they gave me zanax which has been at least helping me sleep. I have an appt with my doctor on Weds and i feel like he is going to think I am crazy for feeling weird on such a low dose. Prior to tapering, i exercised 4-5 times a week. This morning I took my dog for a walk and felt fine until about 130 pm. Then all of a sudden I started to sweat and feal scared. The last time i had taken anything was at 8pm. So I took a half of a 5 and immeadiatly felt fine. That makes no sense, it makes me think this is alot mental. Although by the time I got home I felt just exhausted again. I am a graduate student and I need my energy to keep up, I barely made it last week with all the papers I had to due. Is this all normal and will my doc think im nuts when i say i am having w/d from only takin 3 5 mg a day broken in half. I am hoping to go to 2 and a half today.
It is absolutely normal to feel withdrawal in lower dosages.  This is quite physical and everyone’s metabolism is different. You are doing great and I am glad you have an appointment with your doctor this week.I believe soon enough this issue will be behind you.
It sounds like you have a great productive future ahead….keep on fighting for your health and I wish you all the best.