Addiction Expert Forum
Using Neurontin to get off opiates (Percocet and Lortab)

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Question for the experts:  I've been taking about 6 Percocet 7.5's &/or Hydrocodone 7.5-10mg 5x's a day for 4 months now for chronic pain. I'm all out & can't get any filled till 3-3 & would like to try my Neurontin 600mg tid to help with the opiate w/d symptoms. I can go get my Rx for Neurontin this am & only have 1 7.5 Percocet left. Planning to take 1/2 now & 1/2 at 10am. After that I plan on using Neurontin 600mg 3-4 x's daily for w/d till I can refill the other on 3-3. I've been through opiate withdrawal - it's HORRID & I don't want to check into detox again. I'm definitely an opiate addict and have been off & on 10 yrs but for legitimate reasons. Is there physical evidence Neurontin will help?  I’ve always hastily checked myself into detox when coming off opiates. Can't do that this time. Also take Klonopin 1mg 3 times a day x 15 years. I'm not getting off the Percocet's/Lortab's completely unless Neurontin can take its place. I'm very active, in school full time & taking 15 hours, & work full-time as a server when not at school. This is going to be difficult. There's no 'easy way,' but please advise me about the medical evidence of Neurontin helping me this time. Highest Regards, ScaredtoDeath42
There is really no easy way of detoxing from home. I have dealt with hundreds of addicts who have all told me horror stories of doing it by themselves.  I would only guess that if are successful in doing it at home you don't end up in my clinic. Just in case you are curious, it takes us three to four days to detox a patient and get him/her back home drug free and feeling well on Naltrexone therapy (no opiates).
At home, the basic technique is to space out the pills you take on a consistent manner until you take only one at night, then half at night and then none.  See if your doctor can write you a prescription for some Requip for restlessness, Neurontin is a great help for anxiety and malaise, some Flexeril or Soma for a few weeks for muscle spasms and maybe some Seroquel low dose for sleep. Clonidine regulates blood pressure, creepy-crawly feeling and  will make withdrawals easier.  Please don't start taking the opiates again as it will only throw you back into withdrawals once you stop again, or make you relapse.  Valerian and Magnesium is sometimes helpful remedies over the counter for mild sedation, sleep and muscle relaxation.
But, seriously, you must be completely committed to the goal of quitting.  I have written a blog that has rather detailed information about options for detox. If you click on my name and then click on blogs you will see one under that heading.  Take a minute to read it. I hope you will find it helpful.
The main thing of course is the decision that you make and making it a priority in your life, because that will determine what your life will actually be and mean in the end.  I don't want to sound preachy but it is not a decision you make one day, it is a decision you will make every day for the rest of your life.  Good luck to you and take a look at my blogs and my clinic website for even more info on narcotic detox www.mdsdrugdetox.com