Addiction Expert Forum
What do I request of my PCP

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

What do I request of my PCP

I am weaning off clonazepam.  Have been taking prescribed for over 14 years.  Max dose was 6 mg.  I weaned to 2.5 mg since 2006.  2/2012 started wean to 1 mg as of mid April.  
I take Trazodone 150 mg for sleep.  Not working.
I am having withdrawal-nausea, irritability, lower GI distress, tremors, ringing in ears, headache (intermittent), hypersensitivity to sound, light, tactile.
I am determined to be clonazepam-free.  Was on it initially because of anx/panic attacks.  Enviornmental triggers now gone.  So, time to be free of med.
I take Viibry 10 mg for depression.  A higher dose of this med makes me hyper.  I am doing ok with it.
My question: what med can I take to help with sleep?  A tricyclic?  Or just tough it out?  
Thanks for your input.  Rain
You may want to talk to your PCP about a referral to psychiatrist who would look at all of your pharmacological needs. Some of the symptoms you mentioned can be directly traced to Viibryd as common side effects: diarrhea, nausea, irritability, paresthesias (hypersensitivity to light, touch and sound), etc. The Trazadone you are already taking for sleep can certainly be switched to a tricyclic, but I would like a psychiatrist to see the whole picture a decide to maybe put you on a totally different antidepressant. Occasionally low dose Seroquel at night is very useful for both depressive states and insomnia. Please consider my advise. I do believe you need a second opinion here.
Good luck and stay well.
Well, here I am.  I am finding as we all struggle, we are alone.  I expect I will be successful.  I want this badly.  I have looked up docs in my area.  One is several hours away or another a state over.  My question was not a phony one.
I worked in the med. field for over 40 yrs.  Started clonazepam by prescrip. I have PTSD from couple of attempts on my life when I was younger.  No longer in danger.  That's it in a nut shell.
I don't want to take the clonazepam-period.  I am weaning myself.  I am reading Ashton manual as well as books by other  former benzo addicts.
I am feeling guilty because of my spouse seeing me withdraw.  Every day is a struggle, but I manage to get things done.  The more active I am, I feel better.