Addiction Expert Forum
Withdrawal from fentanly and dilaudid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Withdrawal from fentanly and dilaudid

I am a 55 year old female.  On March 26, I fell from a ladder resulting in multiple (stable) fractures in my pelvis and 6 broken ribs. I was hospitalized for a week on a dilaudid pump, and they put a 75 mcg. fentanyl patch on me.  (I have fibromyalgia and neuropathy problems, so was already wearing a 25 mcg. patch).

I was sent home with 2mg. dilaudid pills, with instructions to take 1-2 mg. 3x day for pain.
I started weaning that down about 3 weeks ago, and finally weaned off about a week ago.  

I also started feeling some strange feelings that I attributed to the patch (a strange pressure in my ears and a feeling that I could not take a deep enough breath). The PA at my pain clinic was able to get prescriptions written for 2 -50mcg. patches and 2 - 12.5mg. patches, giving me the option to drop down to either 62.5mcg or to 50mcg before my pain appointment this Thursday.  I opted to do jut the 50. I put on the 50mcg. patch this past Friday.  I was doing well, in fact feeling pretty "normal"  until last night (Sunday).  I was up and active over the weekend.  Then last night (Sunday night) I had a very hard time with feeling sort of agitated and it was hard to go to sleep.

This morning I woke up with my legs in pain, with my right leg (this is my injured side) in muscle spasms (I think)...it just sort of tightens up in a rythmic way and feels awful.  I was cold for the first time since I came home from the hospital (I have been super-HOT).  Just generally felt "bad".  I gave in and took .5mg (1/4 tablet) of the dilaudid.  

This is all very frightening to me.  Are these normal withdrawal symptoms?  I might add that during this recuperation time, I have been having trouble with migraines. Have had to take Imitrex several times each week.  I am also on cymbalta.  Do you see trouble here with any drug interactions that the doctors may not have told me?  I have a pain doctor appt on Thursday.  

Thank you for your help.

~nikilee

I