Addiction Expert Forum
addicted @ 12 weeks

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

addicted @ 12 weeks

I was trying to quit using opiates when I found out I was pregnant. Now I'm afraid the withdrawals will be too hard on my baby. My husband wants me to ask the Dr for help. But I still think I can wean myself off. I'm already down to almost nothing. I'm afraid my Dr will treat me poorly if I were to tell him something like this. What do I do?
Specially at the early weeks of pregnancy, you have to be very careful with any withdrawal symptoms. I agree with your husband, your doctor should be the best person to guide you safely through this process. He should not judge you but help you and if he does not, than you know he is not the right doctor for you anyway. By you titrating down, it shows that you are willing and wanting to be healthy for you and your family. You should be very proud of yourself and not ashamed.
I've been addicted to pills for a really long time. I ended up pregnant and found out at 5 weeks (how it took that long idk, probably bc I was always high). I rode roller coasters drank till I puked several times smoked weed blew pills 24 7 and dipped. When I saw I was pregnant my boyfriend told me he woul leave me.. So I freaked out. He paid for the abortion and I was kind of relived bc I used so many substances the baby was sure to be unhealthy. But the thing is, you never know. No one knows. Dr.s can say all they want but sometimes the baby comes out fine other times ill hand it to them the baby may have problems. I made a stupid decision and I'm suffering from it. I'm extremely depressed and still on pills. In fact, the abortion clinic gave me 130!! Lasted me 2 days if that. I'd rather have an unhealthy baby than be a baby killer. I was too high to think right. You're strong keep the baby nurture it and if he/she does have health problems treat them. And remember sometimes babies are born with health problems naturally everyone has something wrong with them.. My life expectancy is about 30 I'm going on 19. Just born w/ severe health problems!! Keep your head up. If you haven't quit already its probably too late. Sometimes your baby can be born addicted to wat you were taking and that may make them sick too. Ill pray for you, everything will be fine!!