Addiction Expert Forum
doeseth cause birth defects, is suboxin doen IV dangerous?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

I am 33 yes old33 wks, and a IV addict...                     I haunt been able to obtain private healthcare, because I was almost 5 Mon, !?, wen I found out, and made arrangements for insurance,  and Dr appt., I was turned away due to timing, as well as my disease..I think my situation was even mor in need of help, than tha norm!!  SO, im taking  about. 25 of  subox strip away.  And , I was just in tha last month,  able  to kick Meth completely...I wanna know if Meth has any statistics of having caused birth defects, as well as can subox done IV  be dangerous... I hurt slot, but it's my1st boy, are they more painfull to carry?
You have got to get control of this situation and quick. First, you must realize that you are not the only one in this predicament. We get this question on this forum over and over again from wonderful caring women who want to have healthy babies. Second, you must talk to your OB/GYN.  I can not promise you that they will not report you, but if they see that you are concerned and are cooperating and working with them, everything is confidential. You should be able to stop using if you are committed to the health of your baby. Baby will not experience any adverse affects, there are no physical withdrawals from this drug, if by Meth you mean methamphetamine. On the other hand if you continue to use, you continue to cause it untold harm, and you can not tell at which point it will become irreparable damage. Methamphetamine can easily cause low fetal weight, poor blood flow to the placenta, decreasing nutrient supply to the baby and can easily cause premature fetal death.
Suboxone use is less dangerous, but IV use of it is definitely a problem. It can cause blood infection for you and everything from you will go to the baby.
There is still a chance that it will be OK, if you stop all drugs from now on, eat healthy, stay hydrated with non-caffeinated, non-diet drinks (no sugar substitutes except for stevia) and continue with moderate exercise. If you smoke, stop. Please read my blog on pregnancy and addiction, it will give you more info.
Thank you for caring about your child. Good luck to you both