Addiction Expert Forum
drinking problem. anyone know about vistaril?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

ive had a drinking problem for the past three years. my anxiety has gotten so bad to the point i need to drink in the morning. the only thing i drink is beer because hard liquor will make me feel a million times worse. anyway, i've recently been given the opportunity to try vistaril and i am just so nervous to take it. i know it will help my anxiety but im not sure. ive relied on beer for so long now id feel weird doing anything else. has anyone been given vistaril for alcohol withdrawal/general anxiety?

please let me know of your stories with this medication or what you have done for alcohol withdrawal. i cant go to the hospital because i dont have enough money to afford a 4 day stay there to detox.  
When your life is at stake you should not be worried about money. Vistaril will not stop you from having seizures during alcohol withdrawals.
You should be under doctor's care if you are withdrawing from alcohol.  This is one of the most dangerous withdrawals to your body.  Please turn to a medical facility in the area for help. You need benzos to prevent seizures, thiamine to make sure you don't have acute deficiency. Do not take this lightly. It will get better by itself, however what you are doing is safer done under medical supervision.
Benzo's will only make things worse. They can just as likely make me have seizures. I know things are risky right now but i really cant afford a medical bill.  Im going to try to figure things out.