Addiction Expert Forum
dual barbituate and benzodiazepine dependence
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

dual barbituate and benzodiazepine dependence

i have been using both barbituates (fioricet) and klonopin for about a year. I never encountered anyone else who is addicted to both. I did a 9 day phenobarbital detox but I still feel on the verge of seizure. I have seized before trying to go cold turkey.

They use barbs to detox you from benzos and vice versa. Is there any other way? Is it possible? Even at detox, the nurses said they had never seen a case like mine but that I still needed to leave when the protocol was done for insurance reasons. they said I may still seize later. I'm terrified.

1684282_tn?1410976195
You need to contact your prescribing physician and discuss the process of tapering one medication at a time. I would start with the klonopin were slowly. When that is done you slowly taper off the barbiturates.  Tapering means slowly cutting the dose by a quarter or a half a pill a day every several days, as well as extending the periods between the doses. This must be done with your doctor's help and supervision. Good luck to you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1410976195
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now