Addiction Expert Forum
help?

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

help?

I just found out I'm about 5-7 weeks pregnant. I was/am addicted to Vicodin. Usually I took anywhere from 2-5 Vicodin (7.5) a day. Once I realized I missed my period and took a pregnancy test and it was positive, Ive slowed down alot. In the past 2 days I've only had 1 1/2. I still feel really weak but I want my baby to be OK and healthy. I'm scared to talk to my Dr about it for fear of having my kids taken. I really want to stop...again. I stopped about 3 mths ago with the help of family by tapering me down to nothing! But I relapsed. :( I cannot stand to think of my unborn child being hurt by my stupid choices in life. I need and want to stop for my kids, myself, and family. Please help! With it being so early in the pregnancy can I just taper off nd quit without needing medical help or telling my Dr?
Any kind of extreme stress to the body in the first trimester could  jeopardize the pregnancy.  It is always safer for discuss with your doctor any medication plans you might have , so he can  guide and support you through any discomfort and other issues that may arise.  

You should not be  afraid to approach your doctor.  You should be commended for your efforts to do the right thing by on assuming responsibility for yourself and your unborn baby. You are taking very small amounts and you and your baby should be fine.  I wish you and your family  all the health and happiness from here on .