Addiction Expert Forum
how long do i have to wait to take buprenorphine before coming off deyd...

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

how long do i have to wait to take buprenorphine before coming off deydrocodeine

i have been taking 240mg of dehydrocodeine and 100mg of tramadol daily.i am waiting to go on a buprenorphine maintenance prescription which will be next month.i have some buprenorphine tablets but when i take them i go straight into cold turkey.i have taken the buprenorphine tablets for a few years before but my prescription got stopped so i opted for the above tablets for the time being whilst im on the waiting list to go back on the buprenorphine.does anyone know how long i have to stop taking the deydrocodeine and tramadol for before i can start taking the buprenorphine again please.
It is admirable that you want to get off of opiates, and the physician who is putting you on the Suboxone therapy should be the one giving you detailed instructions on how long to wait before starting the first dose. In my opinion, I would suggest at least eight to twelve hours after stopping the last of your dihydrocodeine and tramadol.  But I want you to be fully aware of what you are getting yourself into.
Let me tel you about Suboxone. Suboxone is the brand name for a medication consisting of buprenorphine and naloxone. Buprenorphine is a thebaine derivative with powerful analgesia approximately 20-40x more potent than morphine. Buprenorphine is a partial agonist and antagonist of the opioid receptors in the central nervous system which means  when the its molecule binds to a receptor , it will transduce only a partial response in contrast to a full agonist such as morphine. Buprenorphine also has very high binding to the opioid receptors such that the opioid receptor antagonists (e.g. naloxone) only partially reverse its effects. This means that an overdose of buprenorphine cannot be easily reversed. Naloxone is opioid receptor blocker. They are combined together to prevent inter-venous abuse of this medication. In the US this Suboxone has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of opiate drug addiction. However many individuals who start using it to treat their addiction, become addicted to Suboxone itself.  Coming off of Suboxone can become a nightmare for those people who get hooked on it, because of its very long half life and its very high affinity to the opiate receptor, tapering down to micrograms can be significantly painful.
Having said that it is still a viable option and does work for some people as a tapering tool off of other opiates. Please click on my name and read some of my blogs especially the one about options for detox. You can also look at my clinic website for more information about  addiction. Especially read the blog written by our recent patient who was addicted to Suboxone. You can also reach it by clicking on my name or by going on www.MDSDrugDetox.com
Good luck to you.