Addiction Expert Forum
i'm pregnant and weaning off pain medication

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

I am a 30yr old woman who has 3 children (one who is only 1). I have been in pain management and on narcotic pain medication for years with the exception of my pregnancy. I had already stopped taking meds when I got pregnant last time and with my oldest two it wasn't an issue yet in life. I wasn't expecting to become pregnant and didn't think that I could so I have settled into a life operating on prescriptions provided for completely legitimate reasons. I have found out that medically Dr.'s find less risk in continuing me on my meds thru pregnancy and changing it to subutex in my mid second tri-mester, and then weaning the the baby off with methadone after the baby is born than taking me off my medication (oxycodone) while pregnant. Apparently if I wean off in my first trimester i'm likely to miscarry...so....i WILL NOT have a baby and have the baby have to be weaned and go thru withdrawals so I figured I'd chance the other evil of miscarriage (had 1 previously for unrelated cause) and wean myself off now at 1 month pregnant. Not sure if i'm going about it rightand my ob Dr and I will discuss it when I go see him for my first ob visit. My question is even though I am weaning off am I still going to suffer the horrid withdrawals when I am at the end of my weaning process? And how fast (days wise) is it ok for me to cut another pill out without feeling too bad throughout. I don't want my body to go into the while withdrawal thing because that's what causes the miscarriage in this situation. I was going to cold turkey it because I want what's best for my baby, not me until I found all the risks involved during pregnancy.
Gentle tapering has not been shown to cause miscarriage or any other damage to the baby while pregnant, especially when done under physician's guidance. Make sure your OB is involved in this process and is checking in on the baby's progress. It is very important for you both to be clean at the time of delivery so that you can have healthy and meaningful bonding, you can nurse safely and start your new life as a mother in a beautiful and committed way.