Addiction Expert Forum
marijuana

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

marijuana

So I smoke and now that I'm 9weeks I smoke more because it helps with nausea and not to mention I have the nausea, I got a perscription for zofran but it only works for an hour or so.... can marijuana harm my baby ? what can I do ?
Not only is the action of smoking itself is detrimental to the health of the baby, but we do not know how cannabis intake can affect the developing brain. If you were using it for nausea, you may have hyperemesis gravidarum, a condition that causes excessive nausea  and vomiting during early stages of pregnancy. There are other medications that are proven safer during pregnancy that are effective for nausea that your OB can prescribe for you.   If your OB is aware of your issue they will be happy to address it. However you did not say you are feeling sick  and are using it only to increase your appetite. Your appetite will increase in a few weeks even if you do not smoke mj and the baby will not be harmed as long as you do not intentionally starve yourself.
You want to eat right and stay away from all unneeded drugs and alcohol while you are pregnant and nursing or mothering young children. Please take good care of yourself and that way you can be sure you are taking the best care of your child!