Addiction Expert Forum
meds

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

meds

I+HAVE+BEEN+ON+FENTANYL+75+%40+3+DAYS+FOR+2YRS.+IT+HAS+MY+DIGESTIVE+SYSTEM+ALL+MESSED+UP.MY+DIGEST.+DR.+WANTS+ME+TO+GET+OFF+THE+FENTANYL+AND+GO+ON+A+PAIN+PUMP.+MY+PRIMARY+DR.+SAYS+NO+TO+P.P.AND+SWEARS+HE+CAN+GET+ME+OFF+WITHOUT+DETOX.+IS+THIS+TRUE.
what+is+wrong+with+your+keyboard??!!

You are talking about two different things-- a pain pump, which would be used only to control pain, and the issue of getting of pain meds.

If you are having severe pain that the fentanyl is not treating, MAYBE a pain pump is indicated.  But if your problem is that you are stuck on fentanyl and can't stop taking it, you certainly don't want to get a pain pump!

All a pain pump does is deliver opioids closer to the place where they act-- reducing (temporarily) the dose that is required to get relief from pain.  Eventually, tolerance develops to the pain pump, so it really is an option only in cases like cancer, where the person has a limited life expectancy.  I realize that other pain clinics insert them, but they are being used to enlarge the doctor's wallet in such cases, more than to help the patient!  

You are already bypassing your 'messed up' digestive system, and the dose of fentanyl you are taking is not maxed out--  so I see no reason for a pain pump, which besides the huge expense is a real hassle-- there is a risk of infection, you are tethered to a tube and a machine (there goes swimming!)--  that would be a last resort.

As for the doc boasting about not needing to have you detox, it is hard to say what he/she is planning.  There are ways to use certain sedatives to reduce the misery of withdrawal-- but the patient must be able to control the use of meds to some extent to make an outpatient detox work.
I+APOLIGIZE+FOR+ALL+I+HAVE+IS+A+CELL+BROWZER.+I+THANK+U+4+UR+ANSWER.+